Nate Diaz questions Jorge Masvidal’s desire to continue UFC 244 bout, dismisses retirement talk
Another day, another quote from Nate Diaz to keep everyone on their toes.
The UFC star was uncharacteristically active on Saturday as far as public statements go, taking to social media to comment on his UFC 244 bout with Jorge Masvidal and even addressing recent rumors that he may take a break from competition.
On Twitter, Diaz shared an image of his fight with Masvidal and wrote that he believes “Gamebred” wanted out of their “BMF” title fight. The main event bout was waved off after three rounds when a doctor ruled Diaz unable to continue due to cuts on his face.
“This is the time in the fight where him and I realized he didn’t wanna be in this fight anymore,” Diaz wrote.
At the UFC 244 post-fight presser, Diaz suggested he might take another lengthy layoff from competition similar to the three-year gap between his second bout with Conor McGregor and his return bout against Anthony Pettis this past August. In an Instagram post earlier this week he added, “Goin on out on tour. Peace out fight game.”
On Saturday evening, Diaz told ESPN that any talk of retirement is premature.
“Who said I was retired? I’ll fight tonight,” Diaz said.
Diaz, who competed in his first pro bout in 2004, doubled down on that declaration, stating that not only will he fight again, but it will be a while (if ever) before he leaves the gloves in the cage.
“I’ll fight forever,” Diaz said. “I’m never going to retire, that’s for sure.”