Cage Warriors 110 results: Rhys McKee stuns Hakon Foss with quick stoppage in 170 debut
Rhys McKee made a big statement in his welterweight debut, stopping the battle-hardened Hakon Foss in just over one minute in their main event clash at Cage Warriors 110.
McKee knocked Foss to the ground with a jab on the minute mark before stopping the bout with follow-up strikes on Saturday night at the Neptune Stadium, Cork.
Speaking after the win, McKee called for a fight with welterweight champion Ross Houston.
In a media scrum after the event, CEO Graham Boylan insisted Belfast is next on the promotion’s agenda. Should the event come to fruition, McKee is likely to boast headline honors.
Joe McColgan once again underlined his interest in a meeting with promotional star Paddy Pimblett following a first-round stoppage of short-notice opponent Robbie Scott.
McColgan immediately put Scott in trouble with a body kick, and after forcing the fight to the floor, he eventually secured the win via D’arce choke in a truly one-sided contest.
One of the most talked about prospects in Ireland, Ian Garry continues to build his stock after a first-round finish of Matt Figlak that improved his record to 3-0.
Figlak wobbled Garry early on with a hook, but Garry immediately focused his attention of getting the fight to the ground. Once he achieved that, he transitioned to back control and eventually forced the stoppage with a rear-naked choke.
“2020 is going to be something special – and everybody better watch out,” Garry told the jubilant Cork crowd.
Nathan Fletcher opened up the main card with a second-round submission finish of Ireland’s Ciaran Mulholland. Hometown favorite John Mitchell also showcased a vast array of striking techniques en route to decision over the resilient Eric Nolan, who showed no let-up over 15 minutes.
- Rhys McKee def. Hakon Foss via TKO (strikes) in R1
- Joe McColgan def. Robbie Scott via submission (D’arce choke) in R1
- Ian Garry def. Mateusz Figlak via submission (rear-naked choke) in R1
- John Mitchell def. Eric Nolan via unanimous decision
- Nathan Fletcher def. Ciaran Mulholland via submission (rear-naked choke) of R2
- Manny Akpan def. Jack Maguire via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Decky McAleenan vs. Antanas Jazbutis via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26,)
- Cathal Manning def. Ismar Blagoje via TKO (punches) in R2
- Omran Chabann def. Tomasz Wojtyna via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)